QCF Mag. Accurate. News. Cincinnati.

Welcome the the web-log that is "Always In It, Always On It and Always Wants It"©. QueenCityForum.com Magazine's Blog is the First Independent Cincinnati News Blog to Feature Weekly City Hall Reporting.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

You're a Rock & Roll Star Night 3!

3rd night of Midpoint and I am already beginning to miss it (or is that
sleep deprivation). Who cares? Either way:

9:00 Gregory Morris Group at Coopers on Main
You may think when you see the ponytails, the bare feet, the cargo
shorts, the general unwashed look and hear songs about kites that this
is some sort of Grateful-hippie-jam-phish-palozza, but you would be
wrong. This local band changed styles as fast and easily as this bar
changes names. They played everything from ballads, to blues to swing
to hard shuffle and some good ol’ rock thrown in for good measure.

While in between bands, I meet a guy who swore he shot heroin with Kim
Deal of the Pixies. He said she was pretty mellow until a song of hers
came on the radio and nobody recognized who she was and gave her
“props” for it. Then she freaked out. He told me, “I guess, overall,
that kind of made her a bitch”. God, I love Midpoint.

10:00 Million Dollar Mouth at Neon’s Courtyard
I meet these guys yesterday and I really wanted to like them. They told
me their sound was a cross between Blur and The White Stripes. Now, I
guess I should be mad at them for lying to me, because they sounded
more like a cross between Peter Murphy (look it up!) and Nickelback. In
their defense, there were some technical difficulties, but to put it
all on the line – they just didn’t rock. Sorry guys.

10:20 Cinema Star at Neon’s
So I went inside and saw a set of twins play guitar. They were playing
along side a drum track and a bass track and a keyboard track and a
lead guitar track. In my world we call this Karaoke. They even did a
cover of a Psychedelic tune. In addition, they were a carpenter’s dream
– flat. At this point, they were the worst “band” I had seen all
weekend.

10:30 Iamis at Japps
OMG! OMFG!! I can’t believe that I missed most of this band because I
was seeing Cinema Star. Cinema Star has just been moved up to “worst
‘band’ ever at any Midpoint”. To properly describe Iamis you must take
one part revival, one part Partridge Family, one party Shins, One part
“mess-o-grits”, two parts rawk and mix. Even though I only say Iamis
for 10 minutes, they are my favorite band of this weekend.

11:00 The Woos at Japps
Technical troubles seemed to follow me and a ridiculously bad mix
ruined what should have been a great set for The Woos. The bass was too
loud. You couldn’t hear any vocals. I left early to go get a slice of
pie at Harry’s.

12:00 The Spunks at Alcamize
This three-piece punk band from Japan via New York really tore it up.
Once again we are shown that rock knows no borders and rock knows no
race. However their stage banter made Dong from “16 Candles” seem
politically correct.

1:00 GitoGito Hustler at Alchemize
From the GitoGito Hustler official website: “You will think that you
wanted to meet early more certainly. Please listen to the music of
"GITOGITO HUSTLER. "Everyone will become a very fortunate feeling.”.
Damn, I wish I could write like that.

This show was packed. This was THE show to be at this weekend. And
these young ladies did not disappoint. They had chops. They had
attitude. They had distortion. They had matching outfits. I am sure
that everyone who saw the show had a fortunate feeling
DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove...

Stay Tuned.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey its three years later and a friend of mine stumbled onto this piece of shit rag of a website. As i can see you have no comments in 3 years so ill be the first.....GO FUCK YOURSELF! -Randy, Cinema Star

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home