QCF Mag. Accurate. News. Cincinnati.

Welcome the the web-log that is "Always In It, Always On It and Always Wants It"©. QueenCityForum.com Magazine's Blog is the First Independent Cincinnati News Blog to Feature Weekly City Hall Reporting.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

MPMF Rundown Noche Dos

2nd night of Midpoint and the crowds started to come out. I had to work a little late tonight, so I missed the 9:00 show (damn you food and shelter for being such a necessity). But here is what I did see:


10:00 The Fairmont Girls at Club Dream
On a scale of rockin’ girl bands where one is Josie and the Pussy Cats and ten is The Runaways, The Fairmont Girls hold up a solid seven. A terrible mix marred tonight’s performance – it was dirty and full of feedback for the first half. One of my few gripes about Midpoint is the lack of time for a decent sound check for most of these bands.

11:00 Bel Auburn at Jefferson Hall
One of the worst “frat rock” bands that I’ve heard in quite a long time. And yet another band that insists on wearing ball caps on stage. I stuck around for three very banal songs and then I left (a friend told me I was very kind and should have left as soon as they shouted “Are you ready to have a good time? Woo Hoo!”)

11:15 Bishop Don at Red Cheetah
A very energetic trio from Atlanta, that beneath their genre shifting façade seemed to me like a damn dirty hippie jam band. And to top it off the drummer wore a ball cap.

11:45 I went and got coffee. While I was drinking my beverage of choice, I meet the band Million Dollar Mouth who had just flown in from California. They are playing Saturday at Neon’s at 10:00pm. They were awfully nice fellows. It just goes to show you, you never know who you might meet at the Midpoint Music Festival. I also saw Nick Spencer call the police on a drug dealer. Now my trip downtown is complete.

1:00 Girls On Film at Club Dream
What could you expect from a band that named itself after a Duran Duran song? Well if you were expecting synthesized drums, choreographed hip thrusts, organized hand clapping, no guitar, action poises and ladies that look like they have just jumped out of a Nagel print, then you would be right. This all female band from Florida is awesome. But please don’t take my word, check out their website at: http://www.girlsonfilm.nu/. And best of all, nobody wore a baseball cap.

Mad Mack's Report on Night 2:Right out the gate I’m batting 0-3 tonight. All the opening acts at Jefferson Hall, Neon’s and The Courtyard Café that I wanted to see bailed. So I mosey on up to Jekyll and Hyde’s to catch Two Turntables and a Saxophone...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home